For some, the prospect of returning to school in September is a daunting one. Here at Greenland Community Primary School we pride ourselves on being able to ensure that both our children and families have everything they need for a happy and stress free time with us. Whilst we are still in a period of uncertainty, we will not let this stop us from doing everything we can to ensure you and your family are as ready as you can be for September 2020.
This section of our website has everything you need for September 2020 in one place. We will add to it as more information becomes available to us so please make sure you check it regularly.
As always, if there is something missing or a question unanswered, let us know and we will do as much as we can to help and support you.
September opening letter (updated 31st August)
Please click on the link below for an updated version of the September re-opening letter. This letter includes everything you need to know about returning to school on Wednesday. It has been slightly updated since its original publication in July but the main features remain the same.
Returning to school at a glance (added 31st August)
Here are some quick fire answers to your frequently asked questions….
- Is breakfast club available? Yes, but a place must be booked in advance, we are no longer offering a drop in service. Please refer to the booking form that was sent home with reports and is featured in the ‘More Information’ section (published in July).
- Can children bring a school bag? No. Children will be provided with everything they need for their lessons, therefore, bags should not be brought into school.
- My child lives between two households and as such sometimes brings an overnight bag to school with them. Can they still do this? Please contact Miss Lewis to discuss these arrangements.
- Are packed lunches permitted? Yes. Please ensure packed lunch boxes can be thoroughly cleaned every day. If a disposable sandwich bag / carrier bag is your preferred option then this is permitted – naturally children will not bring them home (and they should not be brought into school in a school bag – see above).
- Are water bottles provided this year? We have taken the decision not to provide water bottles at present. Children will have access to water throughout the day using disposable cups. If you would like to send a water bottle you are able to do so ensuring it is throughly cleaned every evening (as with packed lunch boxes).
- Are mobile phones permitted? No. Mobile phones are usually kept in the main office, however as children will no longer have access to this area of school they are not able to hand them in or pick them up. If this is going to create a concern for you then please contact us via telephone from Tuesday on 01207 232147 so we can work together to create a safe solution for everyone.
- When will my child be doing PE? We will be doing PE when we return. Your child’s PE day will be confirmed when the receive their new timetable.
- When can Reception children join Breakfast Club and after school clubs? Reception children can access out of hours childcare as of October. Additional information will be provided to you closer to the time.
- How do I contact my child’s teacher or another member of staff? We are still asking that you do not enter the school building under any circumstances. Please telephone us to either speak over the telephone or arrange a mutually convenient time to meet (01207) 232147.
- What do I do if my child is going to be absent from school? Please follow the normal absence reporting process, ensuring you cll us every day of their illness (unless advised otherwise) on (01207) 232147.
After School Club arrangements (added 20th August)
Our after school provision will be very, very different to previous years and will be available on a very limited basis.
Due to the set-up of ‘bubbles’ children from different year groups are not allowed to mix which greatly restricts the provision we can offer. Subsequently there will be no wrap around provision for the first term (i.e. September -December). Information regarding wrap around from January onwards will be issued at a much later date.
As stated during lockdown, all places must be booked for in advance at the cost of £1 per club per child (please refer to the link below the More Information section should you require evidence of this).
Bookings open on Friday 21st August at 7pm via your ParentPay account. You will be booking your child’s places for September – December and immediate payment must be made otherwise we are unable to secure them. You will only be able to make a booking based on your child’s/children’s bubbles and what we can offer in terms of staffing. Unfortunately if your account shows nothing then there are no remaining places.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding after school provision please contact Miss Lewis via email only on firstname.lastname@example.org
After careful consideration children will be expected to wear full school uniform in September. We feel it is important for them to return to as much ‘normality’ as possible when they return. We want to reinstate the sense of belonging some may feel they have lost given how much time they have been away and feel uniform will be something that will help us achieve this.
Our uniform consists of a green jumper or cardigan, white polo shirt, grey ‘school’ trousers or skirt. ‘School’ shoes should also be worn as opposed to black trainers. We must stress, a school badge jumper is not compulsory and so parents should never feel pressured to purchase this.
Whilst the guidance around PE in schools as of September is still unclear, in the event this takes place again, children will be asked to wear our PE uniform.
Our PE uniform consists of a plain white t-shirt and either green or blue/black shorts. In cold weather dark tracksuit bottoms can be worn.
All of the above listed uniform items can be found locally at ASDA or Matalan.
For more information about our school uniform and associated policy click here: School Uniform
Classes for September 2020
Year on year there is huge anticipation surrounding class teachers for a new academic year. This year is made more difficult as we are unable to engage in our very successful internal transition programme.
That said, once the new academic year starts our staff will work tirelessly to ensure your little one settles into their new class and surroundings.
Details as to who your child’s class teacher is will be sent home along with your child’s end of year report therefore, please ensure we have your most up to date address on our system.
A lot of thought and planning goes into class allocations. Please be mindful, whilst your child might not be with their ‘best friend’ or their ‘favourite teacher’ they will be placed in a class that best suits their academic needs. Friends and favourite teachers will still be in school.
Classes for September 2020 are as follows:
RECEPTION – Miss High & Miss Huntrod
YEAR 1- Miss Richardson & Mrs Kerry
YEAR 2 – Mrs Armstrong & Miss Phillips (Miss Phillips joins us from SSIN so some may know already her)
YEAR 3 – Mr Armstong & Mr Stones
YEAR 4 – Mr Johnson & Miss McKeown
YEAR 5 – Mr Howe & Miss McGurk YEAR 6 – Mrs Overal & Miss Pattinson (NQT who is new to school) CLASS 13 (Mixed year group – Mrs Guy
Click on the link for the following information:
- Start dates
- Drop off and collection details
- Breakfast Club – Click here to download your Breakfast Club booking form: Breakfast Club booking form – September 2020
- After school club arrangements
- School meals
- Test & Trace
Term Times 2020-21
Click on the link below for a full list of term dates for the next academic year.
School closes for teaching on Friday 17th July 2020.
New starters information (Reception classes)
We can’t wait to welcome our new starters into school throughout September. To help you and your little one get ready click here for all of the information you need.