We all know that this is going to be an unsettling, challenging and unique time for all of us, and that currently, we are unsure as to when school will reopen. With this in mind, we have tried to come up with a list of helpful tips, ideas and websites that might be useful to you.
Please check your child’s class page to find work set by their teacher. Useful websites are found at the bottom of the page.
Our top tips:
Help your child prepare a daily and weekly timetable. It may help to follow the usual school timetable but perhaps working to the child’s preferred hours.
Give your child encouragement. These are challenging times. Such a sudden change will be unsettling for many children.
If your child gets stuck on a topic, see if you can offer practical solutions, such as finding a website with further information.
Review your child’s progress daily. Make sure they are sticking to their timetable, are not cutting corners and are producing work to the standard of which they are capable.
Your child may complete their work more quickly while schooling at home. Perhaps reward them with time off to do an activity they enjoy such as kicking a football in the garden/yard or watching a favourite TV programme.
Try to spend some time outside. Every day, no matter the weather. It doesn’t have to be long. Have your kids play in the mud or splash in the rain, or go on a walk (social distancing of course). It will be good for everyone’s health!
Limit screen time- use this VERY sparingly and only after completing tasks or as a last resort.
Finally, find time to play!
Ideas to help keep minds active:
- Virtual Museum Tours
- P.E. with Joe Wicks (The Body Coach)
- Just Dance
- Drawing Tutorials
- Greenland’s YouTube Page – bedtime stories
- David Walliams Audio Stories (On Instagram)
- Relax Kids Calm Pack – A great resource to help with anxious thoughts Relax Kids Derwentside Facebook Page
- Audible (Free audio stories to listen to)
- BBC Bitesize – Primary school children (General activities)
- Oxford Owl Reading Free online stories to read (Login: Greenland6 Password: greenland6)
- Twinkl – (General activities) Free access code: parentstwinklhelps
- Phonics Play (Key Stage 1 resource) (Login: march20 Password: home)
- White Rose Maths (This is what children use in school)
- Read Write Inc (Phonics scheme that children use in school)
- Scratch- (Computer coding)
- Hour of Code- More coding fun!
- Language Angels – Spanish lessons (Click on ‘Games Area’ – Login: greeenland Password: school )
Oti’s West End Wednesday.
I-Moves offering Free Dance Ideas!
South Durham Gym offering Online Tutorials with their ambassador Mercedes.
Dane Bates is offering Master Classes
English basketball website – activity videos – # stayinworkout
YOUTH SPORT TRUST
Youth Sport Trust. Website – many free learning resources.
www.yogamike.tv – 3 month free membership to schools, pupils, parents, to experience yoga at home